Wood Plastic Composite(WPC) is a relatively new material that has many potential uses. The markets for WPC decking have been expanding recently and new applications are being pursued. The flexibility of manufacturing methods and product performance attributes provide the potential for a variety of new markets. WPC is an Eco-friendly material which is emerging as an alternative to natural wood as well as plywood.
What is Wood Plastic Composite?
Wood Plastic Composite (WPC) is a composite material which consists of waste Wood fibers and thermoplastics. The wood and thermoplastics are usually compounded above the melting temperature of the thermoplastic polymers and then further processed to make various WPC products.
Additives, such as colorants, reinforcing agents, and lubricants can be added to achieve a higher level of specification for the intended product’s use. Because of the composite’s unique composition, wood plastic composite can be manipulated to assume a wide array of shapes and dimensions, including arched and bent shapes. There is a wide range of uses and applications of WPC boards in outdoor decking, railings, fences, cladding, park benches and outdoor landscape and so on.
Advantages of WPC Board
- Low maintenance: WPC can stand up against the elements without the need to seal, stain or paint it. Natural wood needs to be cut to required sizes followed by painting or polishing.
- Termite resistant: WPC is resistant to termite and insects while natural wood is not.
- Cuts expenses: In the short term, the wood material may seem cheaper but in the long run, WPC is the better cost saving material as it avoids costs like cleaning and sealing. Wood tends to splinter and warp over time.
- Durable: Wood boards and decks look good but do not last long. Frigid winters, rainy springs and scalding summers make wooden material warped, splintered and faded. WPC is more durable and weather resistant than natural wood. WPC does not corrode, rot or delay.
- Easily moldable: WPC has great work-ability and can be fashioned using traditional woodworking tools.
- Easy to shape: WPC offers great flexibility in the shapes and colors of the materials produced.
- Better nail holding power: There is a greater hold of nails, screws and fasteners when used with WPC in comparison with natural wood.
- Environment friendly: WPC is a sustainable material which uses recycled plastic and waste wood; it is a totally environmental protection product.